Sunday, September 19, 2010

Last farm share of the season :( Watermelon popsicles and homemade salsa


This week I received the last share of the season. Sigh! (Ugh, I wrote this post in the middle of September. Sorry, just posting it now.)


Most of the produce included in the last few shares has a long shelf-life, something I'm so thankful for since over the past month I've been busy cooking for people other than myself (and my family).


However, collecting a few batches of the same type of produce suits me well, since when I do cook at home, I like to cook in large batches and then freeze most of it. See, I personally support the personal chef method!


Here is what has been included in the farm share lately:


butternut squash

eggplant

beets

scallions

green beans

tomatoes

sweet corn

new potatoes

peppers- a colorful assortment of mild and spicy


Below are a few things I've prepared in the past month with the farmshare:



Salsa made with Graceland farm bell peppers, jalapenos, and tomatoes, along with some of the orange tomatoes from my garden.

Watermelon popsicles: puree a seeded watermelon in a blender, maybe add a little water, and freeze in molds. No need to add any sweetener for my two-year old, but a little honey and vanilla would suit my taste. An added bonus is that these popsicles take a while for my son to eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment