Sunday, August 1, 2010

Week 15: Share Contents & Whole Foods Cost Comparison

Below are the contents of my farm share this past week. It's quite clear that it's the height of summer.

While shopping for a client at Whole Foods this week, I jotted down how much each of these items would have cost there. Based on my estimates, this farm share would have cost me $49.47 at Whole Foods, but because I am a member of a CSA, I only paid $29.11 ($25.88 per week for the produce and $3.23 per week for the eggs). That's a savings of $20.36!

Not only did I save $20.36,
  • I received a larger watermelon than the ones sold at Whole Foods
  • I received better quality basil than what is sold at Whole Foods, and paid less for it
  • I didn't have to drive to the grocery store
  • I didn't have to spend time thinking about what vegetables to buy and pondering their origins, price, freshness and seasonality.
  • I didn't have to load the vegetables into a dirty grocery cart, unload them onto a dirty cashier belt, load them into my car, only to unload them once I got home.
  • I also saved fuel resources because my farmer only had to drive 18.5 miles to deliver the produce to my neighborhood, and I only had to drive 3 miles from my house to pick it up.
  • I supported a local farmer and my local economy.
  • I taught my two-year old that good food comes from a farmer, although I'm afraid he gets confused at pick-up and might think that the house we go to is the actual farm.
This week's farm share and what each item would cost at Whole Foods:

A big watermelon= $5 (Graceland Farm's watermelon was much larger than the ones at WF)
6 large heirloom tomatoes $4.99/lb = $15 (each tomato weighs about a half pound)
2 pints of cherry tomatoes $3.99/ pt= $7.98
7 small peppers $3.99/ lb = $3
large bunch of basil $2.50 per dinky plant = $5
2 cucumbers- $.75 each = $1.50
4 Japanese eggplants- $4.99/lb = $4.99
6 ears of corn- $.50 each = $3.00
& a dozen farm eggs- forgot to check, but somewhere around $4

Total: $49.47

3 comments:

  1. This is so interesting. I think that I am going to look into joining a CSA next year. There are a few around. One, I think, has our farmer's market as a pick up location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have also inspired me to consider using this as an option, although I do enjoy growing the veggies in our own garden, I don't get the variety you do. Or I need to learn to supplement my own supply with a farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete